Components

The place for all general ARC and Elite: Dangerous discussion
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Components

Postby Dayrth » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:07 am

Took another trip to an engineer the other day and found a recipe (I know they are blue prints now, but I like recipe :)), that caught my eye. Since then I have been looking for the ingredients. Phosphorus was one, that was easy. Got loads of that. Another is a commodity, so I can just go and buy that when I need to. The other two though are more problematic. They are Mechanical Components and Magnetic Components. Kept my eyes open for a couple of days but didn't see any. The recipe says they come from cargo ships. I'm not keen on killing civilians, but yesterday I thought a bit of undermining might net me a few, so off I went in to Empire space. Quite a good couple of hours as far as the undermining went (I had forgotten how much fun it can be), but still none of the components I wanted :(

Any one had a similar problem? If so any suggestions as to how I can get my hands on the stuff?
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Re: Components

Postby Sealurk » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Check out EVERY Decoded, Encoded and High Grade Transmissions Detected USS. You'll pick up a fair few components from those, and often without needing to kill the requisite ship in the first place. Same applies to Combat Aftermath USS.

One proviso - most say Threat 0, but sometimes that's a lie. I've had a few where I was merrily scooping in my Python when a Deadly FAS drops in and says something along the lines of "Knew somebody would come along sooner or later" and starts blasting me. As such I've taken to having weapons out and ship in combat mode every single time I drop into one of those USSs.

Also, check mission boards - a lot of missions provide materials, and I've seen mechanical components among them several times. I won't do missions for commodities until we get engineer commodity storage, but materials are different and I've picked up tonnes from missions.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:56 am

I shall give it a go.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 am

Was having fun undermining so I thought I would do a bit more Thursday before looking for components elsewhere, and they started showing up. Did some more yesterday and again almost every interdiction resulted in a component or two. Maybe I was just unlucky before. Now I'm hooked.

I am undermining in a high security system. Dodging the fuz in sc, picking my targets carefully, then wiping them out, scrambling to pick up a canister and sc out again before the three or four security ships (and there is always an Anaconda), catch up with me is very exciting. Tense, but great fun. :D
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:40 am

Came back yesterday to try other methods of finding components. Not so successful though. None in signal sources, none for missions and only one for bounty hunting in a res. Think I may go back and do some more undermining until I have a bit of a stock pile. (Besides, it's fun :))
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Ready Room”