What did you do? Elite anecdotes

The place for all general ARC and Elite: Dangerous discussion
Xakaz
Cobra

Re: What did you do? Elite anecdotes

Postby Xakaz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:27 am

Wow! It sounds like great fun! I hope, some day I'll be able to fly with you.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:52 am

How many hours off GMT are you? We may be able to arrange something :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Xakaz
Cobra

Postby Xakaz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:07 am

+7 GMT... I play somewhere between 2PM - 7PM GMT on weekdays and 6AM - 7PM GMT on weekends (not every day, but something like 3 days per week). Saturday is usualy my play-day.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:55 am

We normally start training around 6pm GMT. used to be Mondays, but recently changed to Thursdays. I should be able to get home in time to start at 5pm GMT if you are in the Leesti area on a Thursday. Having said that I have just found out that I will be away next Thursday, so won't be training again until 17th.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Xakaz
Cobra

Postby Xakaz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:26 am

Made it to Hutton yesterday! Came here in my combat Vulture without cargo hold. I heard there are some pirates/blockaders/griefers killing commanders on sight, so, I decided to take a little practice in combat. After jumping in Alpha Centaury I encountered two traders in Pythons and winged up with them. It was long but fun trip - we talked about weather in our countries, telling each other typical for our countries jokes. Trip ended at Hutton Orbital without any accidents.

It was realy busy at Hutton - a lot of commanders flying around, waiting for docking and chatting. And a lot of combat ships waiting for wanted targets to appear! Finally, wing of two wanted rammers appears, but they were drived out realy fast under concentrated fire of half-dozen of combat commanders. After that I didn't notice any hostile targets at Hutton or in space close to it (space was also highly patrolled).

It was really worth the trip! I didn't see that much commanders in one place before. Everyone were highly friendly, nice and welcoming. Very rejoicing experience.
Xakaz
Cobra

Postby Xakaz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:34 am

Last Saturday I went hunting wanted commanders in Leesti. It was my first PvP experience.

First, I noticed commander in Vulture with bounty on his head less than 5000 crs (and no faction). Don't worth killing, but, maybe, worth dueling? Offered him fair fight on his terms - he said: "Sure, I have no terms". I offered him fight till hardpoints retracted. It was not really equal and fair fight - he used only gimbaled weapons, and I carry double chaff. And we forgot to fly away from wake point - so police arrived and he retracted his hardpoints. Not gonna lie to you, I shivered from adrenaline!

Then I was interdicted by another wanted Vulture pilot pledged to princess Aisling. It was very fast fight - it seems he also used only gimbaled weapons, and he decided to ram me (he has this fancy Aisling shield), but, somehow, his shields dropped and he ran (I was to nervouse to target his drive).

I tried to caught him, but shortly was interdicted by wanted Diamondback Scout pledged to Aisling also. It was hardest fight ever! He used fixed beam laser and fixed Imperial Hammer - faction weapon of senator Arrisa. We danced around each other, I managed to drop his shields, but lost concentration and lost my, also. Then, I heard this "Missile detected", and boom, it was torpedoes - and I stared to rebuy screen.

Then it was quite silent in Leesti and I jumped to Lave - noticed wanted Diamondback Scout not pledged to any Power with small bounty on his head. Checked his loadout - two multicannons and two missile-launcers. decided to watch on him for a bit. Then here appeared harmless commander in Hauler. DBS interdicted him and I tried to drop on his wake - it was harder than I expected! Before I managed to drop on his wake, they jumped to SC, Hauler's shields was slightly damaged and bounty on DBS increased. I felt justified to engage DBS. He submited to my interdiction, I deployed my hardpoints, but his hardpoints stay retracted. I can't shoot to commander with retracted hardpoints! He send me chat message and it become clear that this commander completely drunk! So, we chatted for a bit, exchanged by some jokes, and I let him go - he is nice guy, and he definitely didn't kill any commanders, just flyed around looking for interaction and pew-pew without dropping shields.

Latter, I returned to Leesti, fought Aisling (again!) supporter in Python (I interdict him) and then Hudson supporter in Fer De Lance (he interdicts me). Both fights were really straightforward - they relied on his gimbaled weapons and me on double chaff, but I was too high on adrenaline to target they drives when they escape.

So far so good! It was very exciting experience. I learnt a lot (double chaff rules, do not underestimate DBS, keep your head cool and be prepared to target drives, I need more interdiction practice). And I think it is very productive result for one and half hour of play.

Thanks for your attention, just felt I have to speak out.
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Nice one :)

I completely agree about the double chaff. I never leave home without them.

I also know what you mean abut the Diamondbacks. I have fought a few commanders in DBs' and DBEs. They are just so manoeuvrable its hard to get a bead on them.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:34 am

I HAVE A VIPER MK IV :D

I should have known. I was well aware that some people would get one and as a premium beta backer I would of course be one of them. There have been many threads on the forums about them. I just didn't think about it.

Last night I went to Founders World and there was one in my garage :) A nice surprise. Kitted it out and went for a spin. It was good fun, though I will have to get used to the weaker shields. The I took it down to a planet. WOW! Any planetary missions from now on, this is the bird I am taking. Skimming the surface and weaving through canyons. Incredible feeling of speed and that engine sound.... :D
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:27 am

It happened, as I knew it would sooner or later. Last night I pancaked in to a planet. High G planet. Cautiously descending. Getting close to the surface. Oops, knocked the thruster hat and got a bit of down thrust. Speed indicator jumps down in to the red. I immediately start thrusting up go to full throttle and angle upward, but all to no avail. SPLAT. Re-buy screen. :(

Wouldn't have mattered so much, but this was one of the rare occasions I was flying my 250 million credit Python.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:41 am

Ever have one of those moments where you feel that you deserve a slow clap for being a world-class, grade-A, gold standard moron?

I spent most of yesterday running missions for ARC in Santa Muerte and Aasgaa, nothing combat related but pretty profitable and it helped max out my faction standing. I wanted a bit of a change so when I received a message in my ship's inbox giving me a tip off about a profitable haul from a crashed ship almost 300 light years distant, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to jump in my Asp, head to Deciat to get some upgrades from Felicity and make the trek to the target world, scanning along the way to get into the exploration feel.

As I had found a few cannisters of gold and taffeeite, I got interdicted a few times, but just boosted away and high-waked. After scanning every star I could along the way I got to my destination (anarchy, probably not a great place to go sniffing for plunder in an unarmed ship with weak shields), found the planet and spent a lot of time lining myself up with the designated latitude and flying to the designated longitude along that line. Realising this would take some time I decided to stop off at a POI along the way, but realised I was very far above the surface and the POI was directly below me.

Vertical thrusters were taking their time, so I had what at the time felt like a brainwave, but in hindsight was evidently a brainfart. "I know!" I thought, "I'll turn flight assist off and let the planet's gravity pull me down most of the way then turn FA back on and thrust upwards to counteract the pull."

You can see where this is going, can't you? Muggins here had neglected to take note of the planet's gravity (1.3G) and badly misjudged the timing of toggling flight assist.

WHAM. "Shields offline. Hull critical. Canopy critical." 5% Hull, no shields, and my ship is upside down. Evidently I was thinking "if you're going to do something wrong, do it right" and so I decided to boost away in the hopes of at least limping to a port to repair. No chance - turns out Asps don't really bounce all that well.

600,000+ Cr rebuy, all the way back at Deciat, minus all my exploration data, 500,000+ Cr in bounties, the cannisters of gold and taffeeite and a lot of pride. I think I'll leave it until a bit later to try again.

---

Finally managed to get back to the planet and recoup most of the exploration data, spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to find the coordinates and ended up on the wrong side of the planet at least once... got there and I've managed to scan the ship's data core, pick up half a dozen random cannisters and... transaction server error. I swear this game hates me.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.

Return to “The Ready Room”