The new kid on the block

So you're done with flying for the time being and you want to unwind. For general chatter and to discuss non-Elite subjects, this is the place.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

The new kid on the block

Postby Dayrth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:23 am

I started up my new commander yesterday in an attempt to get him up to scratch for wing training next week. After a couple of hours trading I already have an expanded cargo bay (I can now carry a MASSIVE SIX TONS), three and a half THOUSAND credits and a hold full of valuable bio waste. Elite trader here I come ;)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Re: The new kid on the block

Postby Dayrth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:05 am

Another couple of hours with the new guy yesterday, and now I have 8 tons of cargo space, an upgraded fsd and 30,000 credits. All joking aside, I am absolutely amazed. I was never much good at trading in the original Elite and when I tried trading in ED about a year ago I normally ended up making a loss. Consequently I gave it up as a boring and futile pastime. This time I have made a serious attempt to get my head round how it all works and, so far at least I think I have got the hang of it. Only took me 32 years :) I am surprised to find how addictive successful trading can be.

P.S. I also got me one of these :D

Screenshot_0170.jpg
Screenshot_0170.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 971 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:12 am

I have managed to settle on a routine. As most of you know, I am normally unable to be in game Friday, Saturday or Sunday mornings. I have decided that I will dedicate Sunday afternoons to building up the new guy and take him to training on Thursday evenings. This will leave three evenings a week for exploring. Unfortunately it does not look like I will be able to get to training this week. I did manage to progress a little yesterday and now have a Hauler, but I still don't have the jump range to make it to Zaonce. I should be there for next week though.

Hauler.jpg
Hauler.jpg (65.27 KiB) Viewed 964 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:54 am

As expected I could not get to training yesterday, so spent the evening trying to trade up my new character. Had a bit of s setback though. I did manage to get away from the starter system and find myself a quite lucrative loop. I started the evening with just over 100,000 credits. Did the loop a few times. Every now and again I would get an interdiction attempt, but never had much trouble avoiding them. Then it happened. Interdicted by a DBS, and I just could not shake it. The interdiction was successful and I started boosting away. DBS opened fire and my pathetic stock shields disappeared almost instantly. Soon I was staring at the re-buy screen.

I had plenty of cash for the insurance of course, but when I was destroyed I had a hold full of Palladium. Set me back quite a bit. It took me most of the rest of the evening to get back to where I had started :( I will see what progress I can make on Sunday, but wing training may be delayed another week.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

The dead kid on the block

Postby Dayrth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:06 am

Poor commander Dairth has met an untimely end :( Almost as soon as I started yesterday I was interdicted again. It was clear that I was loosing the struggle so I submitted. As soon as I dropped I boosted. 4 pips to engines 2 to shields. Hit the FSD and boost again, then...BOOM. Re-buy screen. Another hold full of palladium gone.

Two things occurred to me at this point. First, I would need to rethink my strategy. Sacrificing everything for cargo space and jump range just wasn't going to work. Second, clearing my save would make no difference now, and if I did that I could rename the commander to ARC or something so that we could have an appropriately names group if we needed. After all, this commander was only ever going to be temporary while Dayrth was out in the black. He might as well have a use.

Turns out that ARC and A.R.C. were both already in use :cry: so at the moment he is called A-R-C. If anyone has a better suggestion then let me know before Thursday. I will start building him up again on Thursday and although I will not be able to make it to wing training this week, I have high hopes that my new plan will get me there next week.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:48 am

A-R-C it is then. I have successfully traded up to a Hauler again, and this time invested in better thrusters and power distributor. Successfully survived a couple of interdictions and also now have the jump range to get to Zaonce for next weeks training. At present I have no weapons and only 90,000 credits, so I don't know how much I will be able to achieve in training, but I will try to build up my credit balance on the way there.
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Mess”