The Forsaken Road

So you're done with flying for the time being and you want to unwind. For general chatter and to discuss non-Elite subjects, this is the place.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

The Forsaken Road

Postby Dayrth » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:29 am

This week I shall start on my long anticipated journey in to the unknown. I have no set direction to go in or destination to arrive at. I will just head out and see where the fates take me. This is the build I will be going with:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/35A5A5A4A4A5A5C0r0r181818180202--3cv402400i2i2f.AwRj5Yuss2xA.MwBjCYQRmq-uJymmIA==?bn=Dayrth%20Asp

As you can see I am going armed and shielded. Not that I'm paranoid or anything. I will be running with weapons and some other systems powered down though to save heat. I am only taking two heatsink launchers and you cant synthesise ammo for those :( My ship is in tip top condition and I even had a respray. It will be interesting to see what condition she comes back in (if I make it back at all).

I will be posting updates on my journey here along with pics of anything interesting I find.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Re: The Forsaken Road

Postby Dayrth » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:39 am

Part one:

RF.jpg
RF.jpg (113.5 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

[HIP 74290] ARCS Robert Fitzroy Fully fit and with shiny new paintwork, just before setting off.

Made my first foray in to the unknown. Everything went smoothly enough, although I didn't manage to get very far. I expect to make better progress as I get more experienced. I did mange to visit 25 systems. All had been visited before, but a few at least had undiscovered planets.

I finished the evening with a first. Landing on a previously undiscovered moon.
DM1.jpg
DM1.jpg (176.13 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:16 am

Part two:

Don't worry. I'm not going to make a post every day, but 3 things happened on yesterdays leg of the journey.

First I unexpectedly came across a tiny outpost on a planet. I'm was not more that 1000 LY from the bubble, but I still didn't expect to find buildings, even if they were half buried in snow. It was only 2 small 'sheds' and a data point. I had to go and have a look. I did manage to access the data point and for the first time managed to use my data link scanner successfully. Trouble is, I don't know what that has achieved. Now that I've scanned the data, do I have a copy of it? What can I do with it? Is it of any use at all? If anyone knows, please enlighten me :)

The second thing was not so good. A heavy landing and I took my first damage. I knew it would happen sometime, but had hoped it would not be so soon. Still, the damage is only minor so I shall carry on, and be a lot more careful in future.

The third thing lifted my spirits though. I have found my first completely unexplored system :D 4 suns and five planets. All five planets are high metallic content worlds.
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 1453 times

I landed on one of them for the night. Today I shall have a scout around in the SRV for any useful materials before continuing my trek.
landing.jpg
landing.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Data has to be sold to the relevant power. It might show up in your transactions tab, or if not when you get to a station of that power.

I'm enjoying following this as I had planned to go exploring soon.
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:31 am

Part 3:

I am now deep in the Coal Sack Dark Region. It's just packed with small cool red stars with nothing but icy planets. I am very glad I brought that extra fuel tank :) On a brighter note, I did find three of these systems that were undiscovered.

top.jpg
top.jpg (135.96 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

I have also hit a problem though. My SRV weapons wont fire. Before I left the last high metal content world I went out looking for materials. Found loads, but could not shoot the rocks. I tried rebinding the fire button, shutting down and restarting the game, even did a reload although the ammo was showing plenty left. All to no avail. I can enter the turret but when I press the trigger nothing happens. Any ideas?
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Sealurk
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Python
Asp
Federal Assault Ship
Vulture
Cobra
Type-6
Sidewinder

Postby Sealurk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:49 am

No idea. Power distribution? Module turned off?
++ARC Communications Director++
Got an idea for a GalNet article about ARC? Submit it here.
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 am

Problem solved. Turns out it was because I'm an idiot. No pips to weapons. :roll:
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:09 am

Progress is slowing now. The further out I go the more undiscovered systems I find and even though they have all been uninteresting, unscoopble suns with nothing but icy planets and asteroid fields orbiting them, I have to scan every one though :roll:

I did find one icy planet that had been suffered a large impact, spreading an orange materiel over much of it's surface. I explored that one in the buggy and did find a lot of materials. I am getting much better at that (now that I have some power assigned to the gun :oops:), and at driving around without damaging the SRV. Not getting better at returning to the ship though. Managed to get stuck under it. Wheels spinning on the ice and could not move. Had to dismiss the ship in the end and get it to land on more even ground.

Stuck.jpg
Stuck.jpg (100.67 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:20 am

Getting a bit fed up with these...
sun.jpg
sun.jpg (192.46 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

Visited 26 systems yesterday. Only one had a scoopable star. It's not a big problem fuel wise. I brought an extra tank and I don't think I have ever dropped below 90% fuel yet, but with the Coalsack Dark Region behind me, I was hopeing to find something more interesting than cold red suns surrounded buy balls of ice. Progress is slowing now because I am finding more undiscovered systems, 14 in the last 26, and when I do I have to scan everything.

I'm slowley getting closer to the core, although I'm not heading directly for it, so I hope to find more interesting systems soon.

canyon.jpg
canyon.jpg (194.74 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:31 am

More progress made, but it is slowing. 75% of systems visited since the last post were undiscovered, so a lot more scanning to do. I have started to find things other than balls of ice though. Just a class 1 gas giant, but very pretty:
GasGiant.jpg
GasGiant.jpg (138.62 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

These two got me excited, but they both turned out to be just high metal content worlds:
hmc2.jpg
hmc2.jpg (159.01 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

hmc1.jpg
hmc1.jpg (88.31 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

I continue to be amazed at the fuel efficiency of the Asp. I can plot a 1000 light year rout with 300 jumps and I get a completely solid line on the map. Before I set out the possibility of running out of fuel and getting stranded was a worry to me. I don't really worry about that any more :)

Ice.jpg
Ice.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Mess”