The Forsaken Road

So you're done with flying for the time being and you want to unwind. For general chatter and to discuss non-Elite subjects, this is the place.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Re: The Forsaken Road

Postby Dayrth » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:32 am

Despite heading toward the core, Scoopable stars seem to be becoming rarer. 20 jumps without one yesterday. By the time I found one I had used nearly a third of a tank of fuel. It was the first time I have found myself watching the gauge. Yesterday did also produce a couple of firsts for me. My first undiscovered volcanically active world:
vul.jpg
vul.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

..and my first undiscovered life. A gas giant with water based life:
life.jpg
life.jpg (208.58 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:11 am

Getting my name on a lot of balls of rock and ice, but not much else. Still, some of them are quite pretty :)

rings.jpg
rings.jpg (149.06 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:45 am

This trip may be shorter than I planned. I'm not turning back yet, but after some close encounters with suns I am now down to 83% hull. Plenty to keep going with , but more damage than I wanted this early on. :(

hmc.jpg
hmc.jpg (142.25 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:10 am

Made some real progress yesterday. More than 40 systems visited in one session. I know, doesn't sound like much, but I normally have only one or two hours to play at a time. I also scan every object in any system I am the first to discover (which is now most of them). I doesn't help when some of those have 44 objects in them or, as was the case for one, there are only five objects but the closest was 250,000 LS from the main star.

I am finding more scoopable stars and more interesting systems now. Lots of high metal content/metal rich planets and gas giants, some of which have life. No terraformables or (the one I really want to find), earth likes.
gg1.jpg
gg1.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

gg2.jpg
gg2.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

This is the most interesting undiscovered system I have found yet:
map1.jpg
map1.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

I have decided not to worry too much about the state of my hull. 83% is not too bad and having checked my systems, all are at or above 95%. I haven't used my AFM unit yet either.
Shp1.jpg
Shp1.jpg (136.51 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:05 am

Nothing of interest found yesterday, but I did manage another first. My first entire session without finding anything but undiscovered systems. I'm starting to feel a bit like a real explorer :D (yes I did scan everything in every system).

On a less cheerful note, my ED Discovery seems to be playing up. After my first jump it seems to have locked up and stopped recording new systems. I shut it down and relaunched and it had lost the notes I made on the system it did record. I reentered the notes and continued on my way, but after the next jump it locked up again, once again losing the previous systems notes when restarted. This happened twice more, then I gave up on it. Anyone know what causes this? If not then I may write myself a small utility of my own. I don't use all of ED Discoveries features anyway.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:27 am

No exploring yesterday and there won't be for a while. I am away until Tuesday. I did manage to log another couple of firsts on Tuesday though. My first Water World:

WW.jpg
WW.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

The second was my first completely incongruous, fully operational base, over a thousand light years from civilisation with six skimmers guarding a small pile of tea :D.

base.jpg
base.jpg (83.77 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:53 am

Easter break is over and it is back to exploring :)
Nothing special found yesterday, but it was good just to be flying the ship again.
gg.jpg
gg.jpg (40.51 KiB) Viewed 998 times

It turns out that there was nothing wrong with EDDiscovery, it worked fine after the next restart. I thought it would be fun to try making a log of my own anyway though (just to see if I could). I came up with this:

log.jpg
log.jpg (39.68 KiB) Viewed 998 times

It doesn't do anything clever and does not integrate with anything else, but it works and I can easily customise it to suit myself. :)
Clicking the 'Record System' button will enter all the systems you have visited since the last time you clicked the button. I like to note which systems have scoopable stars and which are first discovered by me (the FD and Scoop check boxes). The main star type and the number of types of planets/moons (though I have not bothered recording those unless it is something unusual), and make notes of anything worth noting. It automatically records the system name and time and date of arrival. You can view the systems as a list or individually. You can sort the list in any order you want. Use any search criteria you want to make a found set and export all or any data in any format you want.
The only thing it does that EDDiscovery doesn't is that it allows you to delete entries if you want. I though this would be a good thing as EDDiscovery sometimes repeated a system when you logged off then started in the same system the next day. It turns out not to be so useful though as this log does not do that.

A simple thing I know, but it makes me happy :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:57 am

Plodding on, and still nothing much to report.

gg.jpg
gg.jpg (175.18 KiB) Viewed 990 times

To fill in the time I upgraded my log utility a bit yesterday as I was travelling. It doesn't do anything extra but it does now look a bit neater and more 'elitey' :)

log.jpg
log.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 990 times

List copy.jpg
List copy.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 990 times

P.S. The log isn't actually blurry, I just don't want people to know exactly where I am. (They might pinch my first discovered systems before I get back :P )
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:43 am

I seem to have stumbled across another dark region. Nearly 40 systems without a scoopable star. Then I found this:

sun.jpg
sun.jpg (208.24 KiB) Viewed 982 times

A beautiful K class star all on it's own. Literally. Not one other astronomical body in the system. I gorged myself on fuel and replenished, continued on my way. The very next jump and there was another K class. This one though was far from alone. 32 objects. Turned out to have 2 asteroid belts and 15 of those objects were clusters :/ Still managing to hold true to my original intention I did scan every one. At least I had somewhere with a scenic view to park for the night :)

planetrise.jpg
planetrise.jpg (150.94 KiB) Viewed 982 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:47 pm

If anyone would like to try out my simple explorers log, you can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m0oqxxj89dv1qx/ExplorerLog_1.2.zip?dl=0

I've added a tiny bit of functionality. I would very much appreciate any suggestions, especially on UI design (I'm rubbish at that).
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Mess”