The Forsaken Road

So you're done with flying for the time being and you want to unwind. For general chatter and to discuss non-Elite subjects, this is the place.
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Re: The Forsaken Road

Postby Dayrth » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:09 am

Nothing much to happened in yesterdays exploration session, but I did get a couple of cool pics :)

SunOnIce.jpg
SunOnIce.jpg (229.29 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

SRV.jpg
SRV.jpg (190.02 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin
Ships Owned: Sidewinder, Imperial Eagle, Viper mk4, Asp Explorer, Vulture, Fer de Lance, Python

Postby Dayrth » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:06 pm

I have updated the Log utility. You can get the new one here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyliazmzgvc45sp/ExplorersLog.zip?dl=0

Updated the UI a little bit and made it automatically set verbose logging on. As before I would very much appreciate any feedback.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Been tinkering with the log thingy again. Got to have something to do while cruising to that last ball of ice half a million light seconds away :/

Added some more tool tips. Every thing should have one now.
Corrected some spellings. I won't have got all the mistakes though.
Added a Horizons themed UI that you can switch to if you want. It's not a lot different though, except for the colour.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (36.29 KiB) Viewed 1174 times

One thing I should have said right at the start. this was built and tested on a Windows 7 PC. No idea if it will work on anything else. I will be getting my shiny new Windows 10, VR ready rig next month. I'll see if it works on that then.

[url]Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy6tfv82ot6lj ... g.zip?dl=0[/url]
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:59 am

Starting to see some interesting systems now. Last night I found my first terraformable world. In fact I found 2 in the same system. The first was a water world with water/carbon based life and a nitrogen atmosphere.

TF1.jpg
TF1.jpg (173.56 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

The next was not so pretty, but still a worthwhile find.

TF2.jpg
TF2.jpg (187.22 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

There are two stars in the system with interesting looking planets around both. It was the last system I found yesterday and I have not finished scanning it yet. Can't wait to get back to it this evening to see what other goodies it holds :)
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:03 am

Quite a profitable evening yesterday. The most valuable system I have sound so far. A binary system with a class F and class g star. Eight metallic worlds. One water word. The water world and three of the metallics were terraformable.

WhiteRings.jpg
WhiteRings.jpg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:31 pm

I have been on the horns of a dilemma lately, but have at last come to a decision. I will continue heading out in to the black until May 9th. On that day I will be turning for home. I won't have time to get to Sag A on the way back, which was my original plan :( but I want to be back in time for the launch of 2.1. It will most definitely not be my last exploration and next time I will be a bit more prepared. Hopefully there will be some interesting discoveries in what remains of this one as well. Another three weeks before I head home and even then because I have been flying a winding route, the journey home may hold some surprises too.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:25 am

Another first for me :)

A high metal content world (nothing unusual there).

planet.jpg
planet.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

This one is a candidate for terraforming (which is nice, but had a few of those before as well).

landscape.jpg
landscape.jpg (149.78 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

What makes this one different, is that I could land on it.

landed.jpg
landed.jpg (100.22 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:02 am

A personal record last night. I found a system with 87 objects in it :shock:

Also the first time I have discovered a 'potato' planet. Two in fact, orbiting each other.

potato.jpg
potato.jpg (145.04 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:42 am

I seem to be in an interesting region at the moment. Plenty of nice scoopable stars with lots of varied planets around them (and all undiscovered :D). Found a system yesterday that had 4 gas giants in. One of them had ammonia based life:

abl.jpg
abl.jpg (197.31 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

... and another water based life:

wbl.jpg
wbl.jpg (156.37 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

Even though I've been out for nearly 3 months and battered my ship about some (down to 81% hull now), disappointingly it seems that my paint work is invulnerable. Not a scratch on it.

Less than 2 weeks before I will be turning back. I'm not looking forward to it. I'm still finding new and interesting things and I don't really want to stop. Once I get back to the bubble there is some faction business I will have to attend to that will probably keep me busy for a few months, but I will most definitely be heading back out once that's settled.
[Remember Wheatons Law]
Dayrth
Site Admin

Postby Dayrth » Fri May 06, 2016 7:54 am

Im back in business :D

I have not been exploring, or indeed doing anything in ED for a while, but for good reason. My new rig arrived (at last), so I have been spending my spare time building that and getting all the [ED]essentials installed. Still got some bits and pieces to finish off, but I have one account running and I am back exploring.

I am stunned by the graphics. I never knew what I was missing. Makes me even sadder that I have to turn for home now, but having said that I can't wait to see what civilisation looks like with the new GPU. I expect to spent a bit of time just hanging around stations and the new engineers bases going 'Wow! Look at that..' :)

For anyone interested, this is my new build:

Power Supply : EVGA 700W Power Supply 80+ Bronze
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
CPU : Intel I7 Skylake 6700K
Hard Drive 1 : 120gb Solid State Drive
Hard Drive 2 : 2tb Western Digital 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Memory : 16gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance
Graphics Card : Geforce GTX 970 4gb
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
[Remember Wheatons Law]

Return to “The Mess”